Friday, June 11, 2010

Designer Breed Mutts?

I just had a lady call in to me at my work, where I earn a living taking classified ads for a local publication that specializes in that type of ad. She wanted to place an ad for her dogs, which she called "Shih-Toos," explaining to me that they were Shih-Tzu and Poodle mix.

I asked her specifically, "what IS a Shih-Too?" She proceeded to tell me about her mixed breed dog (that almost sounds racist, doesn't it?) and that somebody else had told her to sell it as a "designer breed" called a Shih-Too.

I took her ad like a good little employee and suggested to her that she may want to elaborate in her ad about just what exactly a Shih-Too actually is. She asked if that was necessary.

"Ma'am, there are a lot of mixed breed mutt-type dogs out there that are being passed off as designer breeds that don't have actual names. The same type of dog you've just listed has come across my desk as a Shih-Poo, a Shih-Too, and Poo-Tzus. There's no real solid way of naming them, so people have a tendency to make up names with a combination of the two original breeds. It's probably a good idea to let people know what kind of dog it is beyond just the one you gave me."

Meanwhile, my bosses wife heard me and started laughing, apparently thinking I'd called this ladys dog a Shit-Poo.

All things said and done, I got to tell a lady just exactly what I thought about the whole designer dog fad (well-named mutts, anybody?) AND got credit for saying Shit Poo. I win.

No comments: